1. The onDetachFromWindow method is your friend, especially when writing image-intensive custom views.
2. Always recycle your Bitmaps.
3. The VM is out to kill you; don’t always trust it.
4. Related to 3, the VM is out to kill you because the relationship between activities, intents, views and other objects can easily create a circular link consuming huge memory resources that are held by some random and unforeseen global object. It’s why singletons are your best friend and your worst enemy.
5. I’d rather be writing iOS apps.